Volunteers have been the primary support system for the Sparks Museum and Cultural Center since its establishment in 1985. Strong volunteer partnerships are essential for the Museum to succeed. There are many projects and opportunities to work in the back office and on the changing exhibits. Those jobs have flexible hours. The Front Desk Host is a set time and day of the week commitment.
Front Desk Host
This trained volunteer greets and interacts with Museum visitors, handles money, and processes Museum store daily sales. Hosts may also be called upon to help the Museum staff with daily office duties. There are always two hosts on duty at a time.
We work with you to find time slots that suit your schedule. Shifts are:
- Tuesday through Friday – 11:00 am – 1:30 pm OR 1:30 pm – 4:00 pm
- Saturday – 1 pm to 4 pm
- Special events as needed
Desired Job Skills:
- Ability to greet and welcome Museum visitors in a professional and friendly manner
- Ability to answer general questions about the Museum, the Sparks and Truckee Meadows area, and/or provide tourist information brochures to visitors
- Ability to interact positively and clearly with Museum visitors
- Ability to use a cash register, handle money and receipts. (half-day training provided)
- Ability to answer the telephone in a professional manner
- Collect Museum admission fees
- Actively assist Museum visitors in a friendly manner
- Remain current with Museum membership benefits, exhibits, and upcoming programs.
- Track and record visitors each day
- Record Museum store sales receipts, input purchase into cash register, and make correct change
- Maintain a working knowledge of Museum store merchandise.
- Assist Museum Director with various office duties
- Attend training and workshops as scheduled
Front Desk Hosts are required to attend an initial half-day training to learn Museum history, policies, and procedures. Front Desk Hosts will also learn specific skills pertaining to the cash register, recording sales, and answering the telephone.